So it’s time for the big move, and you’re getting all set in the planning stage. Now, you’ve got to find someone who can help you with the moving process. It’s always difficult to find a reliable service vendor when looking for any type of service, so how do you do that when moving? Here are some tips:
- Check out web reviews. These come straight from customers. Most sites are good, but look out for Yelp. That company is known for posting bad reviews highly for all companies until they pay Yelp more money for their listing. Google Reviews and Angie’s List are very reliable.
- View their BBB rating. Any decent company should have a grade of “A” or better. It’s important to remember that businesses with grades lower than “A+” could have that rating just because they haven’t been around as long. Don’t take any single review or BBB score as the definitive word – just consider it along with other factors.
- Ask for client references. Any reputable company should be able to produce several. You can talk to them if you want, but it’s not necessary.
- Get an estimate from your favorite 3-4 companies. By now, you’ve probably identified several movers that look good at what they do. When you get the estimate, ask as many questions as possible so you get to know the company’s personality.
Consider price, but don’t make it your primary concern. Instead, choose the company with the highest integrity. They generally charge more up-front, but that’s because they’re not cutting corners behind the scenes. And if something goes wrong, they’ll make it right.
- Visit the FMCSA. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration oversees the actions of all moving companies. Call 888-368-7238 to check to see if there are any complaints about the companies you’re considering.
- Ask about your mover’s experience with IT equipment. You’ll want to know about the size of the moves they had to perform. Did they work with corporations or small businesses, or both?
If you follow these tips, all companies who pass these checks will be good at providing the quality of service you want with no hassle. Choose the one you believe has the highest integrity, and even if something goes wrong, the whole relationship will work out well.